The Neurology board exam is a key step on your path to becoming a neurologist. As you prepare to sit for the exam, here are some tips and resources to help you pass the boards.
Study Tips to Pass the Neurology Boards
- Start studying during your internships, at least one year prior to the exam.
- Prepare for each part and each section of the questionnaire thoroughly.
- Attend live clinical cases. It helps to practice what you have learned as well as improve critical, timely thinking.
- Use flashcards. Keep your mind calm and concentrated. Do not force it to be hard. Let your mind like what you do.
- Take as many practice Neurology test questions as you can to uncover problem areas and become accustomed to the types of questions you’ll see on exam day.
Top Neurology Books and Study Guides
- Gilman, S., Newman W. Manter and Gatz Essentials of Clinical Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology
- Gray, F. et al. Escourolle & Poirier Manual of Basic Neuropathology
- Cooper, J., Bloom, F., Roth, R. The Biochemical Basis of Neuropharmacology
- DeJong, R. Revised by Haerer, AF. DeJong’s The Neurologic Examination
- WB, Saunders. Aids to the examination of the peripheral nervous system
- Fenichel, GM. Clinical Pediatric Neurology
- Mowzoon, N., Flemming KD. Neurology Board Review: an illustrated study guide
- Rolak, L. Neurology Secrets
- Wiebers, DO., Feigin, VL., Brown, RD. Cerebrovascular Disease in Clinical Practice
- Wijicks, E. The clinical practice of critical care neurology
- Weiner,W., Shulman, L. Emergent and Urgent Neurology
- Kimura, J. Electrodiagnosis in Diseases of Nerve and Muscle: Principles and Practice
- Preston, DC., Shapiro BE. Electromyography and Neuromuscular Disorders
- Watts, R., Koller, W. Movement Disorders: Neurologic Principles and Practice
- Mesulam, MM. Principles of Behavioral Neurology
- Strub, R., Black, F. The Mental Status Examination in Neurology
- E-Medicine MedScape – Neurology
- The Whole Brain Atlas (Harvard)
- American Academy of Neurology
Looking for more ways to study for the Neurology boards? The BoardVitals Neurology Question Bank contains more than 2,000 questions tailored to the the exam content outline for the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) Neurology Certification Exam and the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Residency In-service Training Examination (RITE). Sign up for a free trial today!