Emergency Medicine & West Virginia CME Requirements
- Annual 25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits on Physician's Field of Practice
- Minimum of a 8 Self Assessment Hours
By the end of year 5
- 4 Lifelong Learning and Self Assessment tests
- 1 Practice Improvement Activity
- 1 Communication/Professionalism Activity
By the end of year 10
- 8 Lifelong Learning and Self Assessment tests (total)
- 2 Practice Improvement Activity (total)
- 2 Communication/Professionalism Activities (total)
- ConCert Examination (years 6-10 only)
At a Glance
These hours must all be related to the physician's field of practice, and a minimum of 8 must be self assessment activities.
AAFP Prescribed Credit, ACOG cognates, and AOA Category 1-A Credits are considered equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 credits.
Since the ABEM only requires an average of 25 credits per year, credits may roll over indefinitely (ie, earning 50 credits in a single year will satisfy CME requirements for the next two years). Despite this, the ABEM encourages annual participation in CME.
- 50 Category 1 Credits.
- 3 Best Practices Prescribing of Controlled Substances and Drug Diversion Training.
- 30 Hours in Area of Specialty.
At a Glance
50 total hours every 2 years
The West Virginia Board of Medicine requires 50 Category 1 CME hours every two years. Of these hours, a minimum of 30 must relate to the physician's specialty, and a minimum of 3 hours in board approved hours on the subject of best practices prescribing of controlled substances and drug diversion training. Physicians may count up to 20 hours of medical student teaching/preceptorship in the 50-hour total.
- 16 AOA Category 1-A or 1-B Credits (Osteopathic).
- 3 Board Approved Courses (Licensees that prescribes, administers or dispenses controlled substances only).
At a Glance
32 total hours every 2 years
The West Virginia Board of Osteopathy requires 32 CME hours every two years. Of these hours, 16 must be either AOA-approved Category 1-A or 1-B. Additionally, licensees are required to complete drug diversion training and best practice prescribing of controlled substances training. For licensees that prescribes, administers or dispenses controlled substances, 3 of the 32 hours must be earned through a board-approved course.
Prepare for the ABA and ABPM Pain Medicine Exams while completing 45 Pain Medicine specific Category 1 CME credits.
Earn up to 35 Category 1 CME credits quickly and easily while preparing for the ABEM ConCert exam. This EM Question Bank is an online activity presented as a question bank.
Test your knowledge in Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine with this online CME self-assessment activity. Stay current on ABIM Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine MOC topics while earning up to 40 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ and 40 ABIM MOC credits simultaneously
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.