Emergency Medicine & Rhode Island CME Requirements
- Annual 25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits on Physician's Field of Practice
- Minimum of a 8 Self Assessment Hours
By the end of year 5
- 4 Lifelong Learning and Self Assessment tests
- 1 Practice Improvement Activity
- 1 Communication/Professionalism Activity
By the end of year 10
- 8 Lifelong Learning and Self Assessment tests (total)
- 2 Practice Improvement Activity (total)
- 2 Communication/Professionalism Activities (total)
- ConCert Examination (years 6-10 only)
At a Glance
The American Board of Emergency Medicine requires an average of 25 AMA PRA Category 1 hours every year.
These hours must all be related to the physician's field of practice, and a minimum of 8 must be self assessment activities.
AAFP Prescribed Credit, ACOG cognates, and AOA Category 1-A Credits are considered equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 credits.
Since the ABEM only requires an average of 25 credits per year, credits may roll over indefinitely (ie, earning 50 credits in a single year will satisfy CME requirements for the next two years). Despite this, the ABEM encourages annual participation in CME.
- 4 Public Health Needs CME.
- 40 AMA Category 1 CME or AOA Category 1-A CME.
At a Glance
40 total hours every 2 years
The Rhode Island Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline requires 40 AMA PRA Category 1 or AOA Category 1-A. At least 4 hours of continuing medical education shall be earned on topics of current concern as determined by the director of the Rhode Island Department of Health. Current topics include: Ethics, Risk Management, Opioid pain management / chronic pain management, End of life / palliative care, Antimicrobial Stewardship.
Earn up to 35 Category 1 CME credits quickly and easily while preparing for the ABEM ConCert exam. This EM Question Bank is an online activity presented as a question bank.
Test your knowledge in Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine with this online CME self-assessment activity. Stay current on ABIM Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine MOC topics while earning up to 40 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ and 40 ABIM MOC credits simultaneously
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.