Echocardiography & Iowa CME Requirements
- 400 2-Dimensional Echo/Doppler studies per year in 2 of the previous 3 years
- 50 Transesophageal echocardiograms per year in 2 of the previous 3 years (transesophageal recertification only)
- 100 Stress echocardiograms per year for 2 of the previous 3 years (Stress Echocardiography recertification only)
- 15 AMA Category 1 Credits (specific to Echocardiography) in the 3 years preceding application for recertification
At a Glance
The National Board of Echocardiography requires 15 AMA Category 1 hours during the 3 years preceding application for recertification.
- 40 Category 1 Credits.
- 2 Category 1 Credits of Chronic Pain Management, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
- 2 Category 1 Credits of End-Of-Life Care, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
At a Glance
40 total hours every 2 years
The Iowa Board of Medicine requires 40 Category 1 CME hours over a 2 year renewal period. If more than 40 hours are accumulated, up to 20 may be carried over. The number of required Category 1 credits is pro-rated for anyone who holds a permanent or administrative medicine license that was issued for fewer than two full years.
Physicians who provide primary care to patients are additionally required to complete 2 hours of Category 1 activities for chronic pain management and 2 hours of Category 1 activities for end-of-life care every five years.
Prepare for the ABA and ABPM Pain Medicine Exams while completing 45 Pain Medicine specific Category 1 CME credits.
Earn up to 30 Category 1 Continuing Medical Education hours while answering Echocardiography Specific Questions. Each question includes an answer and detailed explanation. This question bank is a completely online activity.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.