Anesthesiology & West Virginia CME Requirements
- Complete 30 MOCA Minute questions per calendar quarter
By the end of year 5
- Complete 25 IMP (Improvement in Medical Practice) points
By the end of year 10
- 250 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits
- 20 Patient Safety CME Hours
- Complete an Additional 25 IMP (Improvement in Medical Practice) Points
At a Glance
The American Board of Anesthesiology requires 250 AMA PRA Category 1 hours every 10 years. Self Assessment CMEs are no longer required. 20 of the mandated 250 Category 1 CME must be ABA-approved Patient Safety CMEs. Importantly, no more than 70 credits per calendar year will be applied to the 250 hour requirement.
Also, as of 2016, the MOCA Minute will be offered instead of the 10 year examination. The new requirement includes successfully completing 30 questions per calendar quarter. Learners must also complete 25 Points in Years 1-5 and 25 Points in Years 6-10.
- 50 Category 1 Credits.
- 3 Best Practices Prescribing of Controlled Substances and Drug Diversion Training.
- 30 Hours in Area of Specialty.
At a Glance
50 total hours every 2 years
The West Virginia Board of Medicine requires 50 Category 1 CME hours every two years. Of these hours, a minimum of 30 must relate to the physician's specialty, and a minimum of 3 hours in board approved hours on the subject of best practices prescribing of controlled substances and drug diversion training.
- 16 AOA Category 1-A or 1-B Credits (Osteopathic).
- 3 Board Approved Courses (Licensees that prescribes, administers or dispenses controlled substances only).
At a Glance
32 total hours every 2 years
The West Virginia Board of Osteopathy requires 32 CME hours every two years. Of these hours, 16 must be either AOA-approved Category 1-A or 1-B. Additionally, licensees are required to complete drug diversion training and best practice prescribing of controlled substances training. For licensees that prescribes, administers or dispenses controlled substances, 3 of the 32 hours must be earned through a board-approved course.
Prepare for the ABA and ABPM Pain Medicine Exams while completing 45 Pain Medicine specific Category 1 CME credits.
Anesthesiology CME - $599
Stay current in Anesthesiology with this online CME self-assessment activity from BoardVitals. Test your knowledge on key Anesthesiology topics with board-style cases and questions and earn up to 50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.