Anesthesiology & South Carolina CME Requirements
- Complete 30 MOCA Minute questions per calendar quarter
By the end of year 5
- Complete 25 IMP (Improvement in Medical Practice) points
By the end of year 10
- 250 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits
- 20 Patient Safety CME Hours
- Complete an Additional 25 IMP (Improvement in Medical Practice) Points
At a Glance
The American Board of Anesthesiology requires 250 AMA PRA Category 1 hours every 10 years. Self Assessment CMEs are no longer required. 20 of the mandated 250 Category 1 CME must be ABA-approved Patient Safety CMEs. Importantly, no more than 70 credits per calendar year will be applied to the 250 hour requirement.
Also, as of 2016, the MOCA Minute will be offered instead of the 10 year examination. The new requirement includes successfully completing 30 questions per calendar quarter. Learners must also complete 25 Points in Years 1-5 and 25 Points in Years 6-10.
- 40 AMA or AOA Category 1 Credits
- 30 Physician's Area of Practice
- 2 Approved Procedures of Prescribing and Monitoring Controlled Substances
At a Glance
40 total hours every 2 years
The South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners requires 40 AMA, AOA, or other board-approved organization Category 1 hours. Of these hours, a minimum of 30 must be on a subject directly related to the licensee's practice area, and a minimum of 2 hours must be on the subject of approved procedures of prescribing and monitoring controlled substances.
Earn up to 12 hours of Neuromuscular Disorder CME by going through questions and answers.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.