Anesthesiology & Iowa CME Requirements
- Complete 30 MOCA Minute questions per calendar quarter
By the end of year 5
- Complete 25 IMP (Improvement in Medical Practice) points
By the end of year 10
- 250 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits
- 20 Patient Safety CME Hours
- Complete an Additional 25 IMP (Improvement in Medical Practice) Points
At a Glance
The American Board of Anesthesiology requires 250 AMA PRA Category 1 hours every 10 years. Self Assessment CMEs are no longer required. 20 of the mandated 250 Category 1 CME must be ABA-approved Patient Safety CMEs. Importantly, no more than 70 credits per calendar year will be applied to the 250 hour requirement.
Also, as of 2016, the MOCA Minute will be offered instead of the 10 year examination. The new requirement includes successfully completing 30 questions per calendar quarter. Learners must also complete 25 Points in Years 1-5 and 25 Points in Years 6-10.
- 40 Category 1 Credits
- 2 Category 1 Credits of Chronic Pain Management, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
- 2 Category 1 Credits of End-Of-Life Care, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
At a Glance
40 total hours every 2 years
The Iowa Board of Medicine requires 40 Category 1 CME hours over a 2 year renewal period. If more than 40 hours are accumulated, up to 20 may be carried over.
Physicians who provide primary care to patients are additionally required to complete 2 hours of Category 1 activities for chronic pain management and 2 hours of Category 1 activities for end-of-life care every five years.
Prepare for the ABA and ABPM Pain Medicine Exams while completing 45 Pain Medicine specific Category 1 CME credits.
Anesthesiology CME - $599
Stay current in Anesthesiology with this online CME self-assessment activity from BoardVitals. Test your knowledge on key Anesthesiology topics with board-style cases and questions and earn up to 50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.