For a limited time, take 20% OFF your purchase of board review question banks and CME activities.
Don't delay - the savings end August 16th and exclude CME Pro Plus.
20% Off Question Banks and CME
Copy Promo Code
Free access to select questions
Included with all plans
- Customize practice tests by subject
- Track your progress with advanced analytics and reports
- Timed option to simulate real test conditions
- Compare your progress against the national average
“Board Vitals (BV) was essential for my board preparation. I am not a great test taker, and in order for me to have passed my AP/CP boards, I needed to do a LOT of questions, which is hard to come by (especially for CP). Not only was there a plethora of questions, they were all generally well-written and in the style of the actual boards. The material covered in BV was broad yet helpful in how I should focus my studies. Furthermore, the questions were confidence-boosting in that I actually knew more than what I thought; it was nice to know that I was comparable to my peers—and you will likely feel the same way. Lastly, I got quick and thorough feedback regarding any questions or issues I had about any questions I came across. In summary, BV is a gem that I am thankful for discovering. ”Aaron D. Shmookler
Key Pathology Board Review Features
Pathology Board Review Topics Covered:
- Clinical Pathology - Microbiology
- Clinical Pathology - Lab Management
- Clinical Pathology - Hematology
- Clinical Pathology - Chemical Pathology
- Clinical Pathology - Blood Banking
- Clinical Pathology - Molecular Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology - General Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology - Breast
- Anatomic Pathology - Lab Management
- Anatomic Pathology - Alimentary Tract
- Anatomic Pathology - Respiratory Tract
- Anatomic Pathology - Female Genital and Placenta
- Anatomic Pathology - Skin
- Anatomic Pathology - ENT
- Anatomic Pathology - Forensics / Autopsy
- Anatomic Pathology - Genitourinary Tract
- Anatomic Pathology - Pediatric
- Anatomic Pathology - Neuropathology
- Anatomic Pathology - Bone and Soft Tissue
- Anatomic Pathology - Heme and Lymph Nodes
- Anatomic Pathology - Cardiovascular
- Anatomic Pathology - Eye
- Anatomic Pathology - Cytopathology
Information about the American Board of Pathology (ABP) Anatomic Pathology Exam
The complete AP examination is fairly lengthy, taking nearly 8 hours. 94% of the total examination is devoted to questions about specific organ systems or multi-system disease. 6% of the exam is dedicated to general pathology and lab management. For a more detailed breakdown, please see Anatomic Pathology Exam Blueprint.
The Anatomic Pathology Exam is a one-day exam consisting of written and practical sections. All questions are multiple-choice and are in single best answer format.
The Written section consists of 115 questions and candidates have 1.75 hours to complete it.
The practical section is composed of a microscopic portion (traditional and virtual) and an image section.
- Microscopic and Virtual Microscopy Examination: 55 Microscopic questions and 30 Virtual Microscopy questions; Candidates are allotted 3.75 hours to complete this portion.
- Practical with Images Examination: 125 questions; Candidates are allotted 2.25 hours to complete this portion.
Information about the American Board of Pathology (ABP) Clinical Pathology Exam
The Clinical Pathology Exam is comprised of a written portion as well as a practical portion. The complete CP examination is 7.25 hours and all questions are multiple-choice in single best answer format.
Naturally, the written portion of the Clinical Pathology exam is very image heavy. The written portion is 121 questions and is administered over a 2 hour period.
The practical portion of the exam includes graphs, charts, karyotypes, pedigrees, red cell panels, problem solving exercises, and calculations. The practical portion of the exam is 120 questions and is administered over a 3.25 hour period. The practical portion with images is 124 questions administered over a 2 hour period.
All of these question types are covered in the BoardVitals question banks.
What is covered on the Clinical Pathology Exam?
- Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine 23%
- Chemical Pathology 20%
- Hematology 25%
- Medical Microbiology 23%
- Management and Informatics 9%
For a more detailed breakdown, please see Clinical Pathology Exam Blueprint.
VIDEO: Pathology Board Review Question Explained
Check out BoardVitals' Cofounder, Dr. Andrea Paul, answer a question from our Pathology question bank! This lecture is part of our "Practice Connection" video series. BoardVitals developed this series to highlight helpful practice questions and explanations. This Pathology lecture explains how to diagnose unusual blood cells in a 16-year-old female, which is covered in our Pathology question bank.
This module is eligible for up to 60 American Board of Pathology SAM credit. One CME credit is equivalent to one SAM credit.
BoardVitals is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. BoardVitals designates this Internet Enduring Material for a maximum of 60 AMA PRA Category 1™ Credit(s). Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Further Pathology CME info found here.