Pain Medicine Maintenance of Certification Exam Review
Free access to select questions
Included with all plans
- Customize practice tests by subject
- Track your progress with advanced analytics and reports
- Timed option to simulate real test conditions
- Compare your progress against the national average
“This is a good question bank, the questions are reflective of the knowledge needed to pass the pain boards.”George Chang Chien, MD
Pain Medicine Fellow at Cleveland Clinic
Key Pain Medicine MOC Board Review Features
Pain Medicine MOC Board Review Topics Covered:
- Assessment and Psychology of Pain
- Headache and Facial Pain
- Nerve Damage
- Tissue Pain
- Treatment of Pain - Other methods
- Treatment of Pain - Pharmacological
- Visceral Pain
- General Principles
- Special Cases
Information About the ABPM Pain Medicine MOC Examination
What is covered on the ABPM Pain Medicine MOC Examination?
According to the ABPM MOC Examination in Pain Medicine Outline, the written exam covers the following topics:
- Anatomy and Physiology 15%
- Diagnostic Testing 11%
- Types of Pain 12%
- Pain Assessment 14%
- Pharmacology 16%
- Pain Medicine Therapies (Nonpharmacology) 15%
- Psychological/Behavioral Aspects of Pain 10%
- Compensation/Disability and Medical-Legal Issues 7%
The BoardVitals Pain Medicine MOC question bank follows the content outlined in the ABPM MOC Exam Outline to equip you with the information to pass this MOC.
What is the format of the ABPM Pain Medicine Exam?
The ABPM MOC Examination in Pain Medicine is comprised of 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQ). The exam lasts 4 hours, which is divided into 3.5 hours of testing time and 30 minutes of administrative time.
In addition to the BoardVitals question bank, the ABPM provides a list of references that may be helpful when reviewing for the exam.
Information About the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) Pain Medicine Recertification Examination
What is covered on the ABA Pain Medicine Recertification Exam?
As outlined in the ABA PM Recertification Exam Blueprint, the exam covers the following categories:
- Background Concepts: 5%
- Assessment of Pain: 5%
- Treatment of Pain – Pharmacotherapy: 15%
- Treatment of Pain – Procedural: 15%
- Treatment of Pain – Psychological, Physical, and Integrative Therapies: 10%
- Taxonomy: 1%
- Chronic Widespread Pain Syndromes: 1%
- Acute Pain, Pain due to Trauma, and Procedural Pain: 6.5%
- Musculoskeletal Pain 12.5%
- Cancer Pain and Cancer-related Pain: 6%
- Visceral Pain: 4%
- Headache and Orofacial Pain: 3%
- Neuropathic Pain: 8%
- Special Cases: 8%
What is the format of the ABA Pain Medicine Recertification Exam?:
The ABA Pain Medicine Recertification Exam consists of 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQ) in single best answer format. Examinees are allowed up to four hours to complete the exam.
In addition to the BoardVitals Pain Medicine MOC Question Bank, we recommend reviewing the 45 Pain Medicine sample exam questions provided by the ABA.
Stated Learning Objectives for the Pain Medicine MOC Activity
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the pharmacology of common medications used for pain management
- Describe anatomy, risks, and benefits of interventional pain procedures
- Understand the anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of pain transmission
- Assess the level and impact of pain states on the patient
- Diagnose and treat acute and chronic pain syndromes
Reviewing Medical Faculty
- Andrea Paul, MD
- George Chang Chien, MD
How do I earn Pain Medicine CME Credits?
- Check your Pain Medicine state requirements for CME where you practice.
- Purchase the Pain Medicine Question Bank with optional CME Certificate Add-on.
- Answer questions with at least 70% accuracy (you may correct answers as you go).
- Redeem and submit the form and evaluation.
- Print your PDF certificate of completion.
*Please Note: Non-MOC hours (CME only) are self-reported. Please follow the instructions given by your board to report your CME hours.
For full steps, view our Support Page on Redeeming CME Hours.
BoardVitals is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. BoardVitals designates this Internet Enduring Material for a maximum of 45 AMA PRA Category 1™ Credit(s). Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Further Pain Medicine CME info found here.