Free access to select questions
Included with all plans
- Customize practice tests by subject
- Track your progress with advanced analytics and reports
- Timed option to simulate real test conditions
- Compare your progress against the national average
“Just wanted to add my thanks to the pile. I passed the neurology boards (with special qualification in child neurology), and BoardVitals was a large part of my study plan. I thought the questions were appropriately difficult, and I very much appreciated the feedback from your staff when I questioned a small minority of the items (the ones that were unclear or wrong were promptly corrected). Well done! Thank you, and if I decide to take the pediatric boards next year, I will know where to come!”Susan Duberstein
Information about the ABPN Neurology Initial Certification Exam
The questions on the Neurology Certification exam follow a two-dimensional content specification. One dimension focuses on neurologic disorders and topics, while the other is devoted to competencies and mechanisms that cut across the various disorders of the first dimension.
What is covered on the ABPN Neurology Certification Exam?
According to the ABPN Neurology CERT Content Blueprint, the exam covers the following topics:
Dimension 1: Neurologic Disorders and Topics
- Headache and pain disorders 4-6%
- Epilepsy and episodic disorders 8-12%
- Sleep disorders 3-5%
- Genetic and developmental disorders 6-8%
- Vascular neurology 8-12%
- Neuromuscular diseases 9-13%
- Movement disorders 8-12%
- Demyelinating diseases 7-11%
- Neuroinfectious diseases 2-4%
- Brain and spinal trauma 2-4%
- Neuro-ophthalmologic and neuro-otologic disorders 2-4%
- Metabolic diseases, nutritional deficiency states, and disorders due to toxins, drugs, and physical agents 3-5%
- Neuro-oncologic disorders 1-3%
- Behavioral neurology and neurocognitive disorders 7-9%
- Psychiatric disorders 5-7%
- Autonomic nervous system disorders 1-2%
- Normal structure, process, mechanisms, and development through the life cycle 1-3%
- Neuroimmunologic and paraneoplastic CNS disorders 1-3%
Dimension 2: Physician Competencies and Mechanisms
- Neuroscience and mechanism of disease 22-28%
- Clinical aspects of neurologic disease 17-23%
- Diagnostic procedures 17-23%
- Treatment 22-28%
- Interpersonal and communication skills 2-3%
- Professionalism 2-3%
- Practice-based learning and improvement 2-3%
- Systems-based practice 2-3%
What is the format of the ABPN Neurology Certification Exam?
The ABPN Neurology Certification Exam is comprised of 400 multiple-choice questions (MCQ) in stand-alone and vignette format.
Stand-alone questions are single best answer MCQ’s that are not associated with any other questions. These questions can be flagged for review or skipped. However, candidates cannot review questions in a section that has been completed.
Vignette questions are typically two to five MCQ's linked to a common case that may be presented in either a short video clip (30 seconds to 3 minutes), or in text. Vignette questions must be answered in order to advance to the next question. Therefore, candidates can not skip vignette questions or review vignette questions after they have been completely answered.
It is recommended that candidates familiarize themselves with the examination functions by reviewing Sample Screens provided by the ABPN.
Information about the AAN RITE (Residency In-Service Training Exam)
What is covered on the RITE Exam?
According to the AAN 2022 RITE Exam Blueprint, the exam covers the following topics:
- Behavioral Neurology and Neurocognitive Disorders 8%
- Epilepsy and Episodic Disorders 10%
- Genetic and Developmental Disorders 8%
- Vascular Neurology 10%
- Neuromuscular Diseases (includes Autonomic Nervous System Disorders) 12%
- Demyelinating Diseases 10%
- Movement Disorders 10%
- Brain and Spinal Trauma and Spinal Diseases 2-4%
- Neuroinfectious Disease 2-4%
- Metabolic Diseases, Nutritional Deficiency States, Disorders due to Toxins, Drugs, Physical Agents 3-5%
- Neuroimmunologic and Paraneoplastic CNS Disorders 1-3%
- Sleep Disorders 3-5%
- Psychiatric Disorders 5-7%
- Questions Not Associated with a Specific Neurologic Disorder 1-3%
- Neuro-Ophthalmologic and Neuro-Otologic Disorders 2-4%
- Neuro-Oncologic Disorders 1-3%
- Headache and Pain Disorders 4-6%
The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology has reviewed the BoardVitals Neurology activity and has approved the program as a part of a comprehensive Self-Assessment program, which is mandated by the ABMS as a necessary component of maintenance of certification. This module is eligible for 100 American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) SA credits. One CME credit is equivalent to one ABPN SA credit.
BoardVitals is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. BoardVitals designates this Internet Enduring Material for a maximum of 100 AMA PRA Category 1™ Credit(s). Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Further Neurology CME info found here.