Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation & Iowa CME Requirements
By the end of year 5
- 150 Category 1 CME hours (min 8 self-assessment)
- 1 Practice Performance Project
By the end of year 10
- 150 Category 1 CME hours (years 6-10, min 8 self-assessment)
- MOC Exam (years 7-10 only)
- 1 Project Performance Project (years 6-10)
At a Glance
The American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation requires 150 Category 1 credits every 5 years, of which a minimum of 50% must relate to the physician's specialty or subspecialty.
Physician's with time-limited certificates issued before 2012 must complete 300 credits by the end of the year 10.
- 40 Category 1 Credits.
- 2 Category 1 Credits of Chronic Pain Management, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
- 2 Category 1 Credits of End-Of-Life Care, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
At a Glance
40 total hours every 2 years
The Iowa Board of Medicine requires 40 Category 1 CME hours over a 2 year renewal period. If more than 40 hours are accumulated, up to 20 may be carried over. The number of required Category 1 credits is pro-rated for anyone who holds a permanent or administrative medicine license that was issued for fewer than two full years.
Physicians who provide primary care to patients are additionally required to complete 2 hours of Category 1 activities for chronic pain management and 2 hours of Category 1 activities for end-of-life care every five years.
Prepare for the ABA and ABPM Pain Medicine Exams while completing 45 Pain Medicine specific Category 1 CME credits.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.