USMLE Step 3 Board Review Questions
Choose your plan
Free access to select questions
Included with all plans
- Customize practice tests by subject
- Track your progress with advanced analytics and reports
- Timed option to simulate real test conditions
- Compare your progress against the national average
“I would recommend BoardVitals to anyone preparing for USMLE exams for a couple of reasons: First, the questions are of all levels, from basic to advanced and all of them are of high quality. Second, I was able to get feedback very shortly from a practicing physician associated with BoardVitals regarding any questions I had on BoardVitals material. This separates it from practically any other question bank where it may take weeks or months to receive any feedback.”Ashwin M.
Key Board Review Features
USMLE Step 3 Board Review Topics Covered:
- Pharmaceutical Advertisement
- Research Abstracts
About the USMLE Step 3 Exam
Step 3 is the third written board exam you will take during Medical school that is sponsored by both the Federation of State Medical Boards and the National Board of Medical Examiners. The test is designed to determine if students can apply medical knowledge and an understanding of biomedical and clinical science essential for the unsupervised practice of medicine, with emphasis on patient management in ambulatory settings. Our question bank is specifically designed to teach you the kind of thinking that you need to know.
How long is the USMLE Step 3 Exam?
The USMLE Step 3 is a two-day exam:
Day 1: Foundations of Independent Practice (FIP) determine's the student's knowledge of basic medical and scientific principles essential for effective health care.
- 7 hours long
- No more than 235 MCQ's
- Divided into six 60-minute sections, each containing approx. 44 items
Day 2: Advanced Clinical Medicine (ACM) evaluate's the student's ability to apply comprehensive knowledge of health and disease in the context of patient management and the evolving manifestation of disease over time.
- 9 hours
- No more than 180 MCQ's
- Divided into six 45-minute sections, each containing approx. 33 items
USMLE Step 3 Tips and Tricks
Based on 2017 data, the pass rates for Step 3 are quite high (over 97%). It’s one of the easier exams, but this may be in part that students are quite well prepared for this type of exam after taking the first two. Starting 2014, the exam can be taken on two separate, non-consecutive days.
However, there is some advice that we hear pretty frequently:
- Watch out for timing! The question stems are quite a bit longer than for Step 1 and Step 2.
- If you are having trouble with the timing, skip the drug ads and research questions. (We have a block of these in our USMLE Step 3 question bank that should help you get your speed up)
- The first day is very long. Make sure you’re well rested.
- The cases are shorter and are given on the second day, so it tends to be a much easier experience.
- Kaplan is pretty good for the other Step exams, but misses the mark on Step 3.
- You’re better off doing more and more questions than doing a topics-based review (we suggest UWorld and BoardVitals, obviously).
Looking for Step 1 or Step 2 exam content?