NCLEX RN® Board Review Questions and Practice Tests
Choose your plan
Free access to select questions
Included with all plans
- Customize practice tests by subject
- Track your progress with advanced analytics and reports
- Timed option to simulate real test conditions
- Compare your progress against the national average
“My name is Vania and I graduated from RN school almost a year ago. BoardVitals have been a huge help to me studying for the exam. You're allowed to pick the amount of questions, the type of questions from different categories. So I can make sure I can focus on what I have difficulty in and make sure I remembered the stuff I knew already. BoardVitals is a great source and I would recommend this to anyone who will be taking the RN exam.”Vania, RN
Key NCLEX-RN Board Review Features
NCLEX-RN Board Review Topics Covered:
- Audio Questions
- Health Promotion and Maintenance - General
- Ante/Intra/Postpartum and Neonatal Care
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Safe and Effective Care Environment - Safety and Infection Control
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Physiological Integrity - Pharmacological and Parenteral Therapies
- Physiological Integrity - Physiological Adaptation
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Physiological Integrity - Physiological Adaptation
- Renal and Urinary
- Physiological Integrity - Pharmacological and Parenteral Therapies
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Physiological Integrity - Basic Care and Comfort
- Physiological Integrity - Reduction of Risk Potential
- Psychosocial Integrity - General
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Health Promotion and Maintenance - Health Screening
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Psychosocial Integrity - General
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Physiological Integrity - Reduction of Risk Potential
- Immune System
- Physiological Integrity - Basic Care and Comfort
- Health Promotion and Maintenance - Health Screening
- Critical Care
- Safe and Effective Care Environment - Safety and Infection Control
- Safe and Effective Care Environment - Management of Care
- Genital and Reproductive
- Emergency Care
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Health Promotion and Maintenance - General
- ALTERNATE FORMAT Safe and Effective Care Environment - Management of Care
NCLEX RN® Question Bank Features
We’ve added features to our NCLEX® question banks to help you learn better, gain relevant practice, and feel confident going into test day. These features include detailed explanations for distractor answers, our Practice Connection section, alternate item format questions, more question categories and CAT technology.
Detailed Explanations for Distractor Answers
While BoardVitals question banks have always included detailed explanations, the NCLEX® question banks include additional details in those explanations, that focus particularly on the distractor explanations that can often trip up test takers during the exam. These distractor explanations will include graphics and images when applicable to help you learn the information better.
Each question will have a Practice Connection section, which provides the test taker with additional key information and/or a summary of important points for quick recall. It is designed to help you not only understand where many test takers go wrong, but highlight the key takeaways you should understand for each concept and knowledge area tested.
Alternate Item Format NCLEX® Questions
On test day, you’ll encounter a variety of question formats on your exam. In addition to the traditional multiple choice questions, we have added questions written in the “alternate item formats” you’ll find on the NCLEX®. These alternate format questions include:
- Select all that apply (SATA) or Multiple response items
- Requires examinees to select more than one correct answer
- Graphic items
- Items with graphics as answer options instead of text
- Hot spot items
- Requires examinees to select an area of a figure to answer the presented problem
- Drag and drop ordered response items
- Requires examinees to move options in a certain order
- Fill in the blank calculation items
- Examinees must type in numbers in a calculation
- Audio questions
- Examinees select an answer based on an audio clip
- Exhibit questions
- Examinees will read a problem and interpret the information on a chart/exhibit in order to answer the problem
More Question Categories
Additional question categories allow you to select an area of focus for your study by creating custom exams organized by body systems, practice types, or NCLEX® client needs categories. These additional categories help you to maximize your study time by targeting areas in which you need more review.
Unlimited Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT) technology-enabled practice exams for the NCLEX®
To simulate actual NCLEX® exam conditions, the BoardVitals NCLEX® question banks are equipped with Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT) technology. This means users can create a CAT practice exam to provide a sense of the style and difficulty of the exam at your unique knowledge level. Every time a user answers a question correctly, subsequent questions will increase in difficulty until a question is answered incorrectly. Similarly, questions will get easier as more questions are answered incorrectly. The number and difficulty of questions will vary for each user because the exam is considered complete once the competence of the candidate is determined. As you review, your questions on practice exams will reflect your improved understanding.
Users can create an UNLIMITED amount of CAT practice exams.
Information about the NCLEX RN®
The NCLEX RN® Exam is administered by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN). The exam tests examinees on the knowledge, skills, and abilities expected of an entry-level registered nurse.
What is covered on the NCLEX RN® exam?
According to the NCSBN* NCLEX RN® Test Plan, the following 4 major Client Needs categories will be covered on the exam:
- Safe and Effective Care Environment
- Management of Care 17-23%
- Safety and Infection Control 9-15%
- Health Promotion and Maintenance 6-12%
- Psychosocial Integrity 6-12%
- Physiological Integrity
- Basic Care and Comfort 6-12%
- Pharmacological and Parenteral Therapies 12-18%
- Reduction of Risk Potential 9-15%
- Physiological Adaptation 11-17%
The BoardVitals NCLEX RN® question bank are developed around the content distribution suggested by the NCSBN.
*Note that BoardVitals is not associated with the NCSBN.
How long is the NCLEX RN® Exam?
The NLCEX RN® exam is a computer adaptive test and can consist of anywhere between 75 to 265 questions, with 15 pretest items that are not scored. The length of the exam depends on the candidate’s responses to the items, however, the maximum time is six hours.
The NCSBN advises candidates to maintain a reasonable pace of spending only one or two minutes on each question and that candidates should keep a pace that will allow them to complete the exam within the allotted time should the maximum number of items be administered.
Most of the test is in multiple choice question (MCQ) format, but there are also questions that include multiple response, fill-in-the-blank, and hot spots. From what we’ve heard, there are very few hot-spotting questions.
What is Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT)?
Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT) is a type of computer-based testing used in the NCLEX® exams that adjusts the exam’s level of difficulty to the examinee’s ability, resulting in a more valid and reliable measurement of a candidate’s nursing competence. It does so by determining how consistently an examinee can answer questions correctly that are more difficult than the minimum passing standard needed to practice entry-level nursing.
NCLEX® Group Discount Program
Looking for a way to save $$ on NCLEX® question banks? Gather your study group and save up to 30% off BoardVitals NCLEX-RN® question banks. The bigger the group, the bigger the savings. When you become a group captain, you'll get a FREE BoardVitals NCLEX® question bank just for organizing. Team up with your friends and classmates and save on your test bank today. Learn more about the BoardVitals Group Discount Program here.