Emergency Medicine Shelf Exam Practice Questions
Choose your plan
Free access to select questions
Included with all plans
- Customize practice tests by subject
- Track your progress with advanced analytics and reports
- Timed option to simulate real test conditions
- Compare your progress against the national average
Key Board Review Features
Emergency Medicine Shelf Exam Board Review Topics Covered:
- Infectious Disease
- Immune System
- OB GYN
- Renal and Urogenital
- Thoracic and Respiratory
- Endocrine, Metabolic, Nutritional
- GI and Abdominal
- Head and ENT
About the NBME Emergency Medicine Advanced Clinical Exam
As outlined by the NBME, the Advanced Clinical Examinations (ACE) are designed to evaluate examinees’ performance at the end of the medical school sub-internship during the third year of medical school. Residency program directors often use the results as a tool to assess the weaknesses and strengths of incoming residents.
What is tested on the NBME Emergency Medicine Shelf Exam?
According to the NBME Emergency Medicine Advanced Clinical Exam Content Outline, the exam covers the following topics:
- General Principles, including ethics and patient safety 1%–5%
- Immunologic Disorders 1%–5%
- Diseases of the Blood 5%–10%
- Mental Disorders 1%–5%
- Diseases of the Nervous System 10%–15%
- Cardiovascular Disorders 15%–20%
- Diseases of the Respiratory System 10%–15%
- Nutritional and Digestive Disorders 10%–15%
- Gynecologic Disorders 1%–5%
- Renal, Urinary, Male Reproductive Systems 5%–10%
- Obstetric Disorders 1%–5%
- Diseases of the Skin 1%–5%
- Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders 5%–10%
- Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders 5%–10%
- Promoting Health and Health Maintenance 1%–5%
- Understanding Mechanisms of Disease 5%–10%
- Establishing a Diagnosis 25%–35%
- Applying Principles of Management 45%–55%
- Birth to 17 5%–10%
- 18 to 65 60%–65%
- 66 and older 15%–20%
*A subset of items across the organ systems includes content that focuses on resuscitation/trauma (~15%) and environmental/toxicologic disorders (~15%).
How long is the NBME Emergency Medicine Shelf Exam?
The Emergency Medicine Shelf Exam is made up of 110 items in traditional multiple choice, single best answer format as well as several sequential item sets.
The entire exam lasts for 2 hours and 45 minutes.