Ophthalmology CME Requirements
- 50 CME hours every 2 years, of which a minimum of 16 must be self-assessment.
By the end of year 3
- 1 Patient Safety Activity
By the end of year 5
- 1 Quality Improvement Activity
By the end of year 10
- 2 PORT Examinations
- DOCK Examination (years 6-10 only)
- 1 Quality Improvement Activity (years 6-10 only)
At a Glance
The American Board of Ophthalmology requires 250 AMA PRA Category 1 credits every 10 years. For certificates expiring on or before 12/31/2020, 25 hours must be completed each year. For certificates expiring on 12/13/2021 or later, an average of 25 hours over the 10 year period is sufficient.
Of these hours, a minimum of 200 must be on the subject of Ophthalmology.
Some ABO MOC activities can award CME credits. See More Information.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.