Nuclear Medicine & Iowa CME Requirements
- 1 IMP Activity
By the end of year 5
- 125 AMA Category 1 Credits
- Minimum 40 self-assessment credits
- Minimum 87.5 hours on Nuclear Medicine
By the end of year 10
- MOC Exam
- 125 AMA Category 1 Credits (years 6+)
- Minimum 87.5 hours on Nuclear Medicine (years 6+)
- Minimum 40 self-assessment credits (years 6+)
At a Glance
The American Board of Nuclear Medicine requires 125 AMA Category 1 credits every 5 years, with a minimum average of 25 CME AMA Category 1 Credits per year.
Of these credits, a minimum of 17.5 must be on the subject of Nuclear Medicine per year, and a minimum of 8 self-assessment credits per year.
Correlative Imaging, and other subjects that are related to a physician's field of practice, may be counted towards the 17.5 Nuclear Medicine related-activity credits per year requirement.
- 40 Category 1 Credits.
- 2 Category 1 Credits of Chronic Pain Management, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
- 2 Category 1 Credits of End-Of-Life Care, Every 5 Years, for Primary Care Physicians.
At a Glance
40 total hours every 2 years
The Iowa Board of Medicine requires 40 Category 1 CME hours over a 2 year renewal period. If more than 40 hours are accumulated, up to 20 may be carried over. The number of required Category 1 credits is pro-rated for anyone who holds a permanent or administrative medicine license that was issued for fewer than two full years.
Physicians who provide primary care to patients are additionally required to complete 2 hours of Category 1 activities for chronic pain management and 2 hours of Category 1 activities for end-of-life care every five years.
Prepare for the ABA and ABPM Pain Medicine Exams while completing 45 Pain Medicine specific Category 1 CME credits.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.