Neurological Surgery & Texas CME Requirements
- Evaluation of Performance in Practice Activity Required Annually
By the end of year 10
- 90 Additional Category 1 Credits
- Neurological Surgery Safety Course
- One Self Assessment Course (Choose from a number of options)
- 60 Neurological Surgery Category 1 Credits
At a Glance
The American Board of Neurological Surgery requires 150 CME hours every 3 years.
Of these hours, a minimum of 60 must be AMA PRA Category 1 Credits in activities related to the subject of Neurological Surgery. The remaining hours may be earned through Neurosurgery related activities or additional AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.
Learners must complete a self assessment module each cycle as well as a patient safety course each cycle.
Learners must also complete Evidence of Evaluation of Performance in Practice each year.
The cognitive examination must be completed once every ten year cycle.
- 2 Medical Ethics and/or Professional Responsibility.
- 24 AMA, AOA and/or AAFP Category 1 Credits.
- 24 Informal Hours.
At a Glance
48 total hours every 2 years
The Texas Medical Board requires 48 Category 1 credits approved by the AMA, AOA, AAFP, Texas medical Association, or the board. Of these hours, at least 24 must be formal, Category 1 or 1A credits. Furthermore, at least 2 of these formal hours must involve the study of medical ethics/personal responsibility. The remaining 24 can be informal hours; self study, attendance at hospitals, grand rounds.
Continuing Education requirements change often. We monitor the boards regularly to stay current, but if any information appears out of date, contact us and let us know.